Thursday, August 23, 2018

Bedford Kicking Mules 2018 Football Preview

BEDFORD, MI (WTOL) -
A year ago, Bedford was a playoff team, but they lost the final 3 games of the season.

This year during their annual trip to Sauk Valley, head coach Jeff Wood says they truly became a team, and he's very excited with what he's seen so far.

"I really enjoy these guys. This is a great group. There is a lot of positive energy. They coach each other. I've never had a team encourage each other like that before. I'm really pleased with these guys," says Wood.

On paper, it didn't look like there would be any question who Bedford's starting quarterback would be.

Austin Malabanan lead the Kicking Mules under center a year ago, but Coach Wood is making him earn that job back. Right now, a sophomore, Luke Carver is pushing the senior through camp.

"There was competition all throughout the offseason. I've had to come out and do my best. I know I started every game last year, but that was last year. This is a whole new year. I have to do my best and hopefully get my spot back," says Malabanan.

"The kids respond to him. He's made a lot of strides in the last week and a half. Hopefully this competition ends up the way I want, making both of them better," says Wood. "The strength of this team will no doubt be their offensive line. They average about 250 pounds per lineman. In this offense, that will make them very tough to stop.

"With the type of offense we run, the O-line has to be perfect every play. If you miss a block, the play ends up in the backfield. We're quick. We're strong. We're going to punch you right in the mouth. We're powerful," says senior Cade Nelson.

The Kicking Mules open their season on Thursday, August 23rd at Sterling Heights Stevenson.

Copyright 2018 WTOL. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment